Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey: Week One Day Two Activity One: A House or a Home!

Day Two: It’s all in a Day’s work
Activity One: A House or a Home!

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a Wharepuni and your house?
Evidence


3 comments:

  1. Hey there Maris Stella, thanks for completing another activity! I like the way you have presented this activity using a Venn Diagram. It is clear and easy to understand which parts are differences and which are similarities. Well done.

    I thought it was interesting how you identified that you can't eat indoors in the traditional wharepuni. I never knew that and thanks for sharing.

    I agree with you - I am sure there wasn't WiFi in the wharepuni.

    Do you think you could live in a wharepuni?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings there Maris Stella,

    My name is Aletheia and I am a student from Tamaki Primary School also doing the summer learning journey with some students from my school.

    I really enjoyed your Venn Diagram which was really amazing because how you must of been the frist person that I saw with a Venn Diagram plus I loved it because how you could see what are the differences between the houses and what is similar.

    Really outstanding work on this blog post you have did and finished off.
    By the way Maris Stella would you rather live in a wharepuni house or not?

    Cheers,
    Aletheia!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Maris Stella,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    You have done a great job presenting your learning as a venn diagram! Venn diagrams are a great way to compare two things and record similarities and differences. Well done! Maybe you could think about adding some colour to your venn diagram to brighten it up. :)

    You are spot on about not being able to eat in a wharepuni. Do you know which Maori building was made for cooking?

    It is great to see you have made a start to the Summer Learning Journey! I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete